By Megan Leon
Aug 10, 2022
WE’VE SEEN OUR SHARE of the best restaurant and bar awards this year but none take the cake or in this case, the pie, like the 50 Top Pizza awards, because, you know, pizza! 50 Top Pizza, an online guide of the best pizzerias in the world, held its inaugural ceremony in Asia at the Peninsula Hotel in Bangkok where Melbourne-based 48h Pizza e Gnocchi Bar took the No. 1 spot in the 2022 Asia-Pacific ranking.
Chefs, friends, media and pizza-lovers from across Asia (including a couple of surprise Hong Kong escapees), congregated for the first time since the height of the pandemic and the energy was palpable. The luminescent ballroom was filled with laughter, warm embraces and eager pizza-makers waiting to hear their names being called. One chef brought his wife and twin toddler daughters on the stage and they adorably couldn’t stop gawking at daddy on the big screen. There were also touching videos from chefs who weren’t able to make it in person, expressing their gratitude for the recognition and for their love of making pizza.
For those of us who did have the chance to attend, it was an unmissable evening of genuine camaraderie full of lots of eating and toasting salute!–where Bangkok’s torrential August monsoons had many tiptoeing under tent coverings at first and then giving up and dancing barefoot in the lawn in the rain.
What started back in 2017 as a listing strictly for restaurants in Italy, the guide has expanded to more European cities, the U.S. and most recently on to Asia-Pacific which covers Japan, Korea, Thailand, Singapore, Beijing, Hong Kong, Taiwan, Australia, Indonesia, the Philippines and New Zealand.
“This is the first year when we have grouped this zone under a single ‘umbrella’ for the Asia Pacific region,” event curators Barbara Guerra, Albert Sapere and Luciano Pignataro said in a statement. “The Asia-Pacific zone has a plethora of businesses connected to the world of pizza that deserve recognition. This is why we decided to concentrate our energy on this region that continues to amaze us every year.”
This was the last regional reveal for the guide, which has speedily become popular in its short lifespan, and had handed out awards in Milan, Madrid and New York already this year. Now that Bangkok is done and dusted, we are looking forward to the main event: the 50 worldwide Top Pizzas ceremony set to be held September 7 at the Palazzo Reale in Naples, of course.
At the front of the pack of 50 Top Pizza Asia-Pacific 2022 after 48h Pizza e Gnocchi Bar, were Bottega from Beijing, which took second place and was also crowned the best pizzeria in China, and Pizza Bar on 38th in Tokyo, at third, and best pizzeria in Japan – whose Daniele Cason was named Pizza Maker of the Year 2022.
Staying in Tokyo, Pizzeria Peppe – Napoli sta’ ca” took fourth place before attention moved to a two-fer in Thailand where Italian mainstay Peppina in Bangkok (also voted best pizza in Thailand by you in the Asia’s Best Awards this year) took fifth followed by the pizza maestros at Pizza Massilia at sixth. Pizza Strada in Tokyo came in at No. 7, followed by Fiata by Salvatore Fiata in Hong Kong at eight and best pizzeria in Hong Kong. Dante’s Pizzeria Napoletana in Auckland took the ninth spot and the tenth returned to Bangkok with a rare-non-Neapolitan contender, Brooklyn-style, Pizzeria Mazzie.
The only restaurant in Indonesia to make the list was La Baracca at No. 47. Taipei had two restaurants, Andrea Style (26) and Zoca Pizzeria Caffetteria (28).
Not only were the best pizzerias awarded for their unique style of pies, restaurants were also recognized for their day-in and day-out efforts. The Best Service award was handed to Via Emilia Restaurant in Bangkok. The Best Wine List can be found at La Bottega Enoteca in Singapore.
The One to Watch 2022 was awarded to A Mano based Makati, Manila, and owned by Amado Fores, son of acclaimed chef, Margarita Fores (of Cibo and Grace Park to name a few), who was present in the spirited cheering section. Another Philippines winner with a much-lauded pedigree: Wild Flour Italian, whose sister eatery Wildflour Café + Bakery was voted best restaurant in the Philippines in the Asia’s Best Awards. (T+L Tip for your next trip to the States: one of the Wildflour owners happens to also be behind one of my favorite restaurants in Los Angeles, Republique.)
The best 15 pizzerias in the Asia-Pacific ranking also left with golden tickets, i.e., invitations to and confirmed placement in 50 Top Pizza World 2022 event in Naples. We can’t wait to get a taste of the competition.
Here’s the full list of the 50 Top Pizza Asia – Pacific 2022
1. 48h Pizza e Gnocchi Bar (South Yarra VIC, Australia)
2. Bottega (Beijing, China)
3. The Pizza Bar on 38th (Tokyo, Japan)
4. Pizzeria Peppe – Napoli sta’ ca” (Tokyo, Japan)
5. Peppina (Bangkok, Thailand)
6. Pizza Massilia (Bangkok, Thailand)
7. Pizza Strada (Tokyo, Japan)
8. Fiata By Salvatore Fiata (Hong Kong)
9. Dante’s Pizzeria Napoletana (Auckland, New Zealand)
10. Pizzeria Mazzie (Bangkok, Thailand)
11. Spacca Napoli (Seoul, South Korea)
12. Baci Pizza (Hong Hong)
13. CIAK – In The Kitchen (Hong Kong)
14. Al Taglio (Sydney, Australia)
15. Pizzeria E Braceria L’Insieme (Tokyo, Japan)
16. Pizza Studio Tamaki Roppongi (Tokyo, Minato City, Japan)
17. Pizzeria Braceria CESARI (Tokyo, Japan)
18. Pizzeria E Trattoria Da ISA (Tokyo, Japan)
19. Via Emilia Restaurant (Bangkok, Thailand)
20. Seirinkan (Tokyo, Japan)
21. La TRIPLETTA (Tokyo, Japan)
22. La Bottega Enoteca (Singapore)
23. SAVOY Azabujuban (Tokyo, Japan)
24. Little Napoli (Hong Kong)
25. Bella Brutta (Newtown, Australia)
26. Andrea Style (Taipei, Taiwan)
27. Gigi Pizzeria (Sydney, Australia)
28. Zoca Pizzeria Caffetteria (Taipei, Taiwan)
29. Casa Don Alfonso (Macua)
30. Cicheti (Singapore)
31. L’OLIVA Bangkok (Bangkok, Thailand)
32. Crosta Pizzeria (Metro Manila, Philippines)
33. Pizzeria GG (Tokyo, Japan)
34. TARANTELLA Da Luigi (Tokyo, Japan)
35. A25 Pizzeria (Vittoria, Australia)
36. Vera Pizza Napoli (Seoul, South Korea)
37. SPQR Pizzeria (Melbourne, Australia)
38. Wild Flour Italian (Metro Manila, Philippines)
39. Mozzarella Bar (Victoria, Australia)
40. La Svolta Hampton (Victoria, Australia)
41. Gustaci Pizza Lounge (Hong Kong)
42. Etica Pizza (Adelaide, Australia)
43. Lucio Pizzeria (Darlinghurst, Australia)
44. Luce Osteria Contemporanea (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
45. The Pizza Project (Hong Kong)
46. Proof Pizza + Wine (Kuala Lumpur, Malaysia)
47. La Baracca (Bali, Indonesia)
48. A Mano (Makati, Philippines)
49. Via Napoli Pizzeria (Sydney, Australia)
50. Mammamia Pizzeria (Shanghai, China)
Sourced by 50 Best (William Reed Business Media)