Aug 13, 2019
Eric Ripert may be one of the globe’s most highly lauded chefs, but he stays grounded with daily meditation—and keeping things simple on the road. By Jeninne Lee-St. John
His Le Bernardin (le-bernardin.com; prix fixe menus from US$90 for lunch, US$160 for dinner and US$170 for vegetarian.) is still one of the hardest tables to snag in New York, thanks to its pitch-perfect seafood with minimally invasive cooking techniques that coax out maximum flavors. The highlights at this Michelin three-star are sundry, but the sea trout and the baked lobster are revelations, and the genial service makes even first-timers feel like treasured regulars. Turns out that’s trickle-down hospitality from the boss himself. We caught up with Eric Ripert at the World’s 50 Best awards in Singapore recently, where he discussed his take on good kitchen karma—basically, trust your people, be a mentor, and don’t yell. A practicing Buddhist for 30 years who has cooked for the Dalai Lama at Le Bernardin, he says he loves traveling to Asia, especially China, India, Japan, Korea and Taiwan. When traveling, he trades chef’s whites for business-class black, as pictured here.
1. Loro Piana Portland cashmere and silk-blend zip-up hoodie “I love this. It’s very warm, which helps me sleep well on planes.” (loropiana.com)
2. Adidas Stan Smith “I usually spend a lot of time walking wherever I travel.” (adidas.com)
3. Nannini folding reading glasses “I like to read airline magazines while waiting for take-off. These fold up super flat and are inexpensive.” (nannini.com)
4. Rains Field Bag “This backpack is great: it’s a simple design and it fits all the items I need on the plane. It’s also mostly waterproof.” (rains.com)
5. Vacheron Constantin overseas watch “This is a staple of my everyday uniform. I’m often changing time zones so it’s important my watch is reliable.” (vacheron-constantin.com)
6. 7 For all Mankind Ronnie slim-fit jeans “Jeans are my go-to for travel as I prefer to be casual.” (7forallmankind.com)
7. Rimowa Classic Cabin “I love this case because it’s durable and looks good. I try never to check luggage so I can leave the airport quickly when I land.” (rimowa.com).